When I introduce my clients to blogging, I can sense their apprehension when they ask, “But Phyllis, what do I blog about?”. I let them know that from time to time I, too, draw a blank when I sit down in front of my computer to write a blog post.
I usually come up with blog topics when I am not in front of my computer. Believe it or not, most blog ideas come to me when I am loading/emptying the dishwasher. Yes, it’s true!
I will either dictate my thoughts into my iPhone/iPad or quickly find a scratch piece of paper & pen. Other times, I will bring out the list outlined below and pick a topic. I hope something from this list inspires your next blog post.
- Industry News: Share the latest news and trends in your industry. This builds credibility and will create buzz among your prospective customer base.
- Create a Recurring Theme: Keep your readers coming back for more with a recurring theme. Example: Monday Marketing Madness, Tuesday’s Tips, Thursday Throwback or Spicy Friday.
- Get Personal: Your readers want to know more about you and readers are drawn to you when you are authentic. So, tell them why you started your business and why you are so passionate about what you do.
- Customer Based Questions: Take the top questions your clients ask you and answer each question through a blog post.
- How To Guides & Videos: Not only will this answer client based questions but also give your readers good, practical advice. Videos convert sales by 56%. Click here to read Why Video is Vital for Your Website.
- Videos: These days who has time to read. Find a video on YouTube or create one yourself and embed it into your blog. Write a brief intro and summary on why the video is relevant to your business.
- Giving Back: Donating time or money to a cause or community is an honorable way to show your company’s gratitude. This is a great way to build relationships with trust and influence.
- Company News: Share the latest company news with your readers. Did your company go public? Did you launch a new product or publish a book? Your readers deserve to know.
- Poll or a Survey: You can use these to gain information and feedback from your readers.
- Create a List: People love to read to lists. Not only are they are easy to scan and read but also they are fun and easy to create! For example: “Top 10 Reasons to Hire an Attorney After a Car Accident” or “5 Sure-Fire Ways to Get More Comments on your Blog”
- Industry Leaders: List the top 10 people you follow in your industry and why.
- Interviews: Interview someone you really admire — preferably someone in your industry.
- Guest Blogger: Ask a colleague, mentor or someone you admire to be a guest blogger.
- Social Media: Create a list of all of the social networking sites you belong to. Don’t forget to create a link to each website and then ask your readers to follow and connect with you.
- Influencers: Share your top influencers from LinkedIn.
- WordPress Plugins: Share your favorite plugins.
- Event Announcement: This is a great opportunity to announce your upcoming event(s) whether it is a webinar, conference or networking mixer.
- Eavesdropping: You overheard an interesting story while standing in line at the supermarket. Share your views on the story with your readers.
- Photo post: Share your photos online through your blog. Readers are more likely to look at photos or watch videos instead of reading.
- AllTop: You can find great topics from A-Z on AllTop. They have a great list of top blogs on the web.
These are just a few ideas. What about you? Where do you find inspiration for your blog posts? If you have a great blogging topic(s), please feel free to share it here.
I admire serial blogger, Chris Brogan, and I invite you to read 100 Blog Topics I hope You Write. Now, if that doesn’t give you inspiration, I don’t know what will.